Mwandishi is the ninth album by jazz pianist Herbie Hancock, released in 1971. It is one of Hancock's first departures from the traditional idioms of jazz as well as the onset of a new, creative and original style which produced an appeal to a wider audience, before his 1973 album, Head Hunters. In addition, Mwandishi was Hancock's attempt at continuing the musical principles and styles he began playing with Miles Davis on In A Silent Way.
Recordings - Herbie Hancock. Открывайте новую музыку каждый день. Лента с персональными рекомендациями и музыкальными новинками, радио, подборки на любой вкус, удобное управление своей коллекцией. Миллионы композиций бесплатно и в хорошем качестве. Исполнитель: Herbie Hancock.
By: Herbie Hancock (1971, Jazz). More albums from Herbie Hancock: The Imagine Project by Herbie Hancock. Possibilities by Herbie Hancock. The Prisoner by Herbie Hancock. Takin’ Off by Herbie Hancock. Speak Like A Child by Herbie Hancock. Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock. Blow-Up (The Original Sound Track Album) by Herbie Hancock. View all albums . Mwandishi.
Mwandishi" is perhaps Herbie Hancock's best fusion album prior to "Head Hunters. Although he didn't play on "Bitches Brew" in 1969, Hancock was obviously very influenced by that album. Ostinato is a straight-ahead uptempo exploration of the remnants of Bitches Brew.
Duration: 44:50 Year: 1970. 0:00 ? Herbie Hancock albums.
Herbie Hancock recorded this album in 1970, in the early days of the jazz fusion movement, and was still transitioning from post bop and avant-garde jazz to fusion. This is the first album with the Mwandishi Sextant (the others being Crossings and Sextant), the more experimental group that Herbie ever assembled, where every member had a Swahili name attributed to them (Mwandishi was Herbie's name).
The discography of the American jazz artist Herbie Hancock consists of forty-one studio albums, twelve live albums, sixty-two compilation albums, five soundtrack albums, thirty-eight physical singles, nine promo singles and four songs not released as singles, but that charted due to downloads.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||Ostinato (Suite For Angela)
Written-By – Herbie Hancock
|A2||You'll Know When You Get There
Written-By – Herbie Hancock
|B||Wandering Spirit Song
Written-By – Julian Priester
- Produced For – Fillmore Corporation
- Recorded By – Catero Sound Company
- Recorded At – Wally Heider Studios
- Distributed By – WEA Records Ltd.
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Warner Bros.
- Copyright (c) – Warner Bros.
- Printed By – Gothic Press Ltd.
- Produced For – Hancock Records, Inc. Production
- Published By – Hancock Music
- Record Company – Warner Communications
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Warner Bros. Records Inc.
- Arranged By – Herbie Hancock
- Congas, Timbales – Jose "Cepito" Areas*
- Design [Front Cover] – Bonnie Schiffman, Robin Mitchell
- Drums, Percussion – Leon Chancler*
- Engineer [Assistant Recording] – Aulikki Niitynen
- Engineer [Recording] – Fred Catero
- Ensemble – The Herbie Hancock Sextet
- Executive-Producer – Lee Weisel*
- Guitar – Ron Montrose*
- Performer [Members Of The Herbie Hancock Sextet], Bass – Buster Williams, Mchezaji
- Performer [Members Of The Herbie Hancock Sextet], Bass Clarinet, Alto Flute – Bennie Maupin, Mwile
- Performer [Members Of The Herbie Hancock Sextet], Drums – Billy Hart, Jabali
- Performer [Members Of The Herbie Hancock Sextet], Electric Piano [Fender Rhodes Piano] – Herbie Hancock, Mwandishi
- Performer [Members Of The Herbie Hancock Sextet], Trombone – Julian Priester, Pepo Mtoto
- Performer [Members Of The Herbie Hancock Sextet], Trumpet, Flugelhorn [Fluegel Horn] – Eddie Henderson, Mganga
- Photography By [Back Cover Photos] – Edmund Shea
- Producer – David Rubinson
Notescream/pinstripe labels with WB shield logo at the top.
Made in U.K.
1st cat. number on the jacket, 2nd and 3rd on the labels
Produced for Fillmore Corporation
Recording Engineer: Catero Sound Company
Recorded at Wally Heider Recording Studios, San Francisco, Calif.
A Warner Bros. recording distributed by WEA Records Ltd. ℗ & © 1974
Sleeve printed in England by Gothic Press Ltd. London SE9 2EQ.
℗1974 Warner Bros. Records Inc.
A Hancock Record Inc., Production
Hancock Music (MCPS)
Side B label credits track B songwriting to (Hancock)
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Side A label): K 46077 A*
- Matrix / Runout (Side B label): K 46077 B*
- Matrix / Runout (Side A runout, stamped ["S-3 D-" is hand-etched]): S-3 D-K∙46077∙A2 B
- Matrix / Runout (Side B runout, stamped ["S-3 D-" and "♡" are hand-etched]): S-3 D-K∙46077∙B1 ♡ A
- Rights Society: MCPS
|WS 1898||Herbie Hancock||Mwandishi (LP, Album)||Warner Bros. Records||WS 1898||US||1971|
|WBS 1898||Herbie Hancock||Mwandishi (LP, Album)||Warner Bros. Records, Warner Bros. - Seven Arts Records||WBS 1898||New Zealand||1971|
|WPCR-29114||Herbie Hancock||Mwandishi (CD, Album, RE, RM, SHM)||Warner Bros. Records||WPCR-29114||Japan||2016|
|46 077||Herbie Hancock||Mwandishi (LP, Album)||Warner Bros. Records||46 077||Germany||1971|
|9362-47541-2||Herbie Hancock||Mwandishi (CD, Album, RE, Dig)||Warner Bros. Records, Warner Jazz, Warner Strategic Marketing||9362-47541-2||Europe||2000|