The World as It Is Today is the third and last album by English avant-rock group Art Bears. It was recorded at Sunrise Studio in Kirchberg, Switzerland between 24 August and 7 September 1980, and was first released in 1981. For technical reasons, the original release of this album on LP vinyl record was pressed on a 12" disc at 45-rpm, and not the usual 33⅓ rpm.
Winter Songs is the second album by English avant-rock group Art Bears. It was recorded at Sunrise Studio in Kirchberg, Switzerland between 22 November and 5 December 1978, and was released in 1979
Others are great too, they're experimental, weird and unusual, but for rare usage. If you want to be challenged, go here.
Winter Songs, The World As It Is Today. The instrumental palette is stripped down, and there seems overall to be a stronger emphasis on Krause's vocals as a result. As a result, it is perhaps Art Bears' least "fun" album, but also could be one of their more rewarding ones. As for those lyrics: while it's true they are less overtly political than the heavy-handed screed that is The World as it is Today, this is still pretty strongly Marxist stuff.
Album Name The World As It Is Today. Erscheinungsdatum 1981. Alben in Experimental Rock.
The best album by Art Bears is Winter Songs which is ranked number 5898 in the list of all-time albums with a total rank score of 277. Art Bears album bestography. Higher ranked (25,961st) This album (43,743rd) Lower ranked Hopes And Fears The World As It Is Today -. Listen to The World As It Is Today on YouTube. YouTube videos will return here shortly. The World As It Is Today track list. Your feedback for The World As It Is Today.
If the preceding Winter Songs was mostly based on real songs, while not respecting the usual format, The World As It Is Today is definitely more complex than it, and Art Bears shortest album, lasting only 30 minutes. Not only does the album returns to certain form of Marxism ideology, but the very dissonant nature of the music make it the most difficult album of the band. The influence of pioneers like Faust and The Residents is more overt than ever.
|1||The Bath Of Stars||1:45|
|2||First Things First||2:50|
|4||The Summer Wheel||2:46|
|7||Rats And Monkeys||3:14|
|9||The Winter Wheel||3:06|
|10||Man And Boy||3:21|
|11||Winter/War / Force / Three Figures||5:51|
|The World As It Is Today|
|13||The Song Of Investment Capital Overseas||2:37|
|19||The Song Of The Martyrs||4:08|
|21||The Song Of The Monopolists||1:48|
|22||The Song Of The Dignity Of Labour Under Capital||2:27|
- Copyright (c) – Arcades Music
- Pressed By – Disctronics
- Recorded At – Sunrise Studios
- Engineered At – Sunrise Studios
- Arranged By – Chris Cutler (tracks: 13 to 23), Fred Frith (tracks: 13 to 23)
- Artwork [All Pictures Except Booklet Page 18 By] – EM Thomas*
- Artwork [Drawn Wheel, Lower Picture Booklet Page 18 By] – Graham Keatley
- Artwork [Engravings] – E.M.Thomas*
- Composed By [All Composed By] – Chris Cutler, Fred Frith
- Design [Booklet] – Chris Cutler
- Drums [Drums Etc.], Noises [Noise] – Chris Cutler (tracks: 1 to 12)
- Drums [Drums, Electric Drums], Noises [Noise] – Chris Cutler (tracks: 13 to 23)
- Engineer [Engineered (& Much More) By] – Etienne Conod (tracks: 13 to 23), Robel Vogel* (tracks: 13 to 23)
- Engineer [Engineering Assistance] – Ronnie Kürz* (tracks: 1 to 12)
- Guitar [Guitars], Violin, Keyboards, Xylophone – Fred Frith (tracks: 1 to 12)
- Guitar, Keyboards, Violin, Viola – Fred Frith (tracks: 13 to 23)
- Loops, Recorded By [Live Recording Of Pigs & Bells] – Graham Keatley
- Photography By [Photos From Amiens Etc] – E.M.Thomas*
- Producer [Produced By] – Art Bears, Etienne Conod
- Recorded By – Art Bears (tracks: 1 to 12), Etienne Conod (tracks: 1 to 12)
- Vocals [Singing] – Dagmar Krause
NotesWinter Songs recorded at Sunrise Studio, Kirchberg, 22nd November to 5th December 1979.
The World As It Is Today engineered (& much more) at Sunrise Studio CH 9533 Kirchberg between August 24 & September 7, 1980.
Total playing time 1 hour 10
On tray card:
Made in England
Pressed at Disctronics
Manufactured in England
RēR Megacorp 1988.
Made in England
©Arcades Music 1979/80
Packaged in a standard jewel case with 20-page booklet (this includes artwork, lyrics, musician details, etc).
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout: RER-ABCD 01
|RēR åbCD1, RēR åbCD||Art Bears||25 Songs: Winter Songs / The World As It Is Today (CD, Comp, RP)||ReR Megacorp, ReR Megacorp||RēR åbCD1, RēR åbCD||UK||Unknown|
|RēR åbCD1, RēR åbCD||Art Bears||25 Songs: Winter Songs / The World As It Is Today (CD, Comp, RP)||ReR Megacorp, ReR Megacorp||RēR åbCD1, RēR åbCD||US||Unknown|
|RēR åbCD1, RēR åbCD||Art Bears||25 Songs: Winter Songs / The World As It Is Today (CD, Comp, RP)||ReR Megacorp, ReR Megacorp||RēR åbCD1, RēR åbCD||US||1993|
|HCWFCD 140802||Art Bears||25 Songs: Winter Songs / The World As It Is Today (CD, Comp, Unofficial)||ArsNova||HCWFCD 140802||Russia||2001|